Thursday, June 18, 2009

Resort Bests and Worsts

I was inspired to write this when I almost choked on my morning OJ while reviewing the resort collections in WWD. Am I the only person who thinks Dolce & Gabbana's rhinestone embellished jeans (left) are the most hideous thing they've ever seen (other than the bedazzled versions found at K-Mart-like stores)? Is this a backlash from mass-produced copies of luxury labels? Now luxury is copying the lowest of low-end apparel design? Here's a tip: if you like this look, you can save a ton of money by buying the cheapee version, and they'll be just as ugly. I do love the tailored jacket and striking jewels though.

Betsey Johnson (below) didn't do much better with her resort collection. Black and pink taffeta and tulle reminded me of some 80's prom nightmare, and her pastel pieces looked like stuff you'd find in dusty windows of chinatown. Basic message to these designers? Stay away from cheap-looking fabrics! You are world-renowned designers; you know better.

























My faves? Giambattista Valli's (below left) smart ruched jersey and tailored looks are retro and ladylike. I love how this grey-toned outfit has so much different texture. You can really have fun with your choice of shoes and bags. This look would also be flawless going from day to night. As you can tell, I love neutrals. J. Mendel's (below right) camel mini dress is sporty and sleek.






















All photos from WWD.

No comments:

Post a Comment